Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Review: Group Text App for iPhone

Have you ever needed to message a consistent group of people but at some point accidentally failed to message 1 person in the group? Yeah, me too.  Sometimes online services just aren't handy enough. I, and many of you, need something in our hands.

A friend and fellow youth pastor and iPhone user had a need expressed to me the other day.  He needed a group messaging app that would allow him to overcome AT&T's 10 contact per message barrier.  Basically, he needed a simple way to make groups (lists) of students and people so that he could send out a single text message to them.  Maybe for an announcement, maybe for a reminder, maybe for a "snow day" notice...the sky is the limit.

I admitted that I didn't currently use such an app because up until now I've been paying for a text blast service through Simply Youth Ministry.  My service plan, their lowest, costs my budget $10 each month and is a bit of a hassle because I either have to use their web interface that isn't mobile friendly at all, or have the right email for the particular list I was wanting to message. Due to budget issues, this wasn't an option for my friend.  He already has unlimited texting on his cell plan, and he wanted his students to see that the messages come from him, not from some proxy service.

So what does a guy do? I did a little searching on iTunes and made a suggestion, Group Text ($2.99) by Redbits.  I didn't know much about it, but the description seemed to match his needs and the images that were provided seemed like it might be adequate for his needs.  So I sent my friend a link and offered that this might be a decent solution.

It didn't take long for him to declare this as his favorite and most useful app.  So, I've jumped and am trying it.  He's right, it does for a total of $2.99 what my $10/month plan did.

Here are the features:
  • universal app (works on iPod, iPhone, or iPad)
  • allows an unlimited number of groups (ie...parents, students, sr. high, jr. high, volunteers, certain schools)
  • easily uses either your contacts from your phone, CSV (comma separated value) list, or just manual entry into each list to build your groups
  • you can build templates for your messages
  • and create 1-time custom groupings easily as well
  • and so much more.
Nothing is perfect though.  Right now with iOS 5 you have to turn off iMessages and group messaging that is build natively into iOS when you need to use the app.  They are aware of the problem and are working on a solution.  Another thing my friend noticed, and it wouldn't be long until I did as well, is that when you update a contact in your Contacts on your iPhone it doesn't automatically update the number in your list within the app, a bit of an inconvenience. 

Over all, I can highly recommend this app. At only $2.99, it's a bargain (compared to some services) for those of us who are on the front lines of student ministry and want to keep in touch, send reminders, and keep communication lines open.  At this point it looks like I may be canceling my online service and saving $10/month to take some students out for a Coke or coffee. Check it out and let us know your thoughts or if you have another suggestion in the comments.

1 comment:

  1. Does this app work on an iPod touch? Can it integrate into Google Voice or does it offer a phone number?

    ReplyDelete