- Meetings. I serve in a leadership role that requires more meetings than anyone should ever have to attend at times. I used to carry my laptop around, providing a lot of wear and tear on an expensive item that I would rather not replace very often. The iPad is excellent for meetings, allowing easy access to my email, calendar, notes, and with the office apps such as Quickoffice & Pages I can accomplish many of the quick tasks that I might need to do for such a meeting.
- Bible Studies. I lead a weekly Sunday School and the curriculum (which I will discuss another time) is available in Word format as well as PDF. Storing the PDF in iBooks or using iDisk or Dropbox allows instant access. No more printing out copies to teach from, which I really enjoy.
- Sermons. Just like above, I create my sermons on my computer and can print it into PDF format and access from one of the above apps. If I need to tweak a sermon as I work on it, no problem. I can access the document file, edit, and export it as a PDF.
- Reading. It's not one of my best habits, but I am working on developing it. The iPad, via the apps, allows access to all the major book stores, and the selection of books is getting better all the time. There are many free books available as well. There are some great free ones being offered right now at www.youthministry.com
- Visitor Cards. I have set up a webpage within our student ministry site with a simple webform that students can fill out, when completed the form is sent to my inbox for reference and storage.
- Social Media. Student ministry is always moving, so I use my iPad to keep in touch with my students through the social media services such as Twitter and Facebook.
- Media. A simple and often overlooked use is that it plays video. If I have a video clip or sound byte that I need to show for a small group lesson, the iPad is excellent.
- Remote Access. It is inevitable that I will need some program or information that isn't available directly from my iPad. What I have found is that there is an incredible app from TeamViewer that allows me to access my laptop when it's running and logged in to the network. The app is free and so is the service for personal use. I can even use it to provide tech support for my friends and family as needed.
Have a way that you have used your iPad in ministry? Feel free to share it in the comments.

No comments:
Post a Comment