As a youth pastor, rarely in one spot for very long, it is very important to have access to many files that are called upon throughout each day and week. I know that many carry those files on thumb drives, but not always is a computer around to access them. Then there is always the issue of "Is this the most recent edition of this file?"
Not only that, but if I sync that file to just one device, I am stuck with just that one device. I migrate between 3 devices on a regular basis: my macbook, iPad, and iPhone (I realize that this is an all Apple lineup, but this issue faces the PC user as well.). I need access to those files often, and rarely am I in the same location, so what is a guy to do?
The solution can be found in many forms, but with 1 core ingredient shared: cloud storage. I know that there are several companies offering their own cloud storage solution, so do your research to find the best option for you. Here are several popular options:
- Dropbox (free with a paid option)
- iDisk (MobileMe subscrition required)
- Microsoft's Live Mesh (free)
- Google Docs
Personally, my solution resides in my MobileMe subscription. It is a paid solution that I use for email, calendar, and contact synchronization, but many forget about iDisk that is included in the service. The great thing is that it comes with 10GB of storage (but is expandable for an added cost) that is accessible through any device as long as it has internet access.
The reason that I like iDisk is that I can access it anywhere, always know that I have the most current file, and can share the files with others if desired. It also means that I don't have to clutter my devices with these files (although I do keep a backup), and that I instantly give myself an immense storage capability.
Let us know if you have any other solutions for expanding and syncing your mobile office in your comments.
No comments:
Post a Comment